Thousands of Americans are asking what they can do to show their support for service members, especially those serving overseas in this time of war. Below are Web sites for several organizations that are sponsoring programs for members of the Armed Forces overseas. While it would be inappropriate for the Department to endorse any specifically, service members do value and appreciate such expressions of support.
Please do not flood the military mail system with letters, cards, and gifts. Due to security concerns and transportation constraints, the Department cannot accept items to be mailed to "Any Service member." Some people have tried to avoid this prohibition by sending large numbers of packages to an individual service member's address, which however well intentioned, clogs the mail and causes unnecessary delays.
The support and generosity of the American people has touched the lives of many service members, over 300,000 of whom are deployed overseas.
Below are links to programs that offer aid to our military -- everything from care packages to emergency services to military family support. Show your pride in our armed forces today, either by purchasing a gift or card for a servicemember, or donating to programs that support our military. The following five links listed below are also available for viewing by going to the following website.
Official Government and Military Support Websites
- Army Emergency Relief Fund: The U.S. Army's emergency financial assistance organization and is dedicated to "Helping the Army Take Care of Its Own".
- Fisher House: These homes enable family members to be close to a loved one at the most stressful times - during the hospitalization for an unexpected illness, disease, or injury.
- Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society: A private non-profit charitable organization sponsored by the Department of the Navy to provide, in partnership with the Navy and Marine Corps, financial, educational, and other assistance to members of the Naval Services of the United States, eligible family members, and survivors when in need and to receive and manage funds to administer these programs.
- Support Your Troops: Learn how to assist and connect with our troops.
- U.S. Department of Defense Community Relations Citizen Support Website: information on how citizens can provide assistance, support, and encouragement to our armed forces
External Support Websites
- Support Our Troops: A website to connect, support, and donate.
- Support Returning Troops: Information about assiting and supporting troops returning from overseas.
- USO: Learn more about the USO and how to help support the troops and your local USO.
Last updated on Thursday, November 3, 2011